History of the Order of the Arrow & Catawba Lodge


Purpose and History of the Order of the Arrow (OA)


The purpose of the Order of the Arrow is fourfold:

  • To recognize those Scout campers who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives
  • To develop and maintain camping traditions and spirit
  • To promote Scout camping
  • To crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others


The Order of the Arrow (OA) was founded by Dr. E. Urner Goodman and Carroll A. Edson in 1915 at the Treasure Island Camp of the Philadelphia Council, Boy Scouts of America. It became an official program experiment in 1922 and was approved as part of the Scouting program in 1934.

In 1948 the OA, recognized as the BSA's national brotherhood of honor campers, became an official part of the national camping program of the Boy Scouts of America.

History of Catawba Lodge #459

CATAWBA Lodge 459 was chartered on June 18, 1951 in Area 1, with Arrowmen Roy House, Sr., Gene Grimes and Fred Van Treece, and was named after the Catawba Indians who lived in this area. First Ordeal held at Camp Steere on Lake Wylie hosted by Itibapish Iti Hollo Lodge 188. The Lodge has many events throughout the year and also offers a chance for youth members to hold offices of responsibility as well as the ones they hold in the troop.


This page is maintained by Rick Cardenas, ASM & IT Director of Troop 19
Send comments to webmaster@bsa19.org
Mecklenburg County Council, Boy Scouts of America.
Charlotte, North Carolina
No content may be reproduced for non-Scouting purposes.
© Copyright Troop 19, 1998 - 2011

Last Updated: September 9, 2011